The purpose of the Moncks Corner Fire Marshal is to provide services aimed at reducing the risk of fire and injuries to the public. These services are provided through the administration of inspections, programs and education to the community while maintaining a commitment to excellence in an atmosphere of courtesy and integrity.
The Fire Marshal is responsible for inspecting all commercial facilities and new construction in the Town of Moncks Corner. Our Fire Marshal is certified through ICC as a Certified Fire Marshal and the South Carolina Fire Marshal's office as Resident State Fire Marshal. Our staff performs routine inspections, re-inspections, and complaints.
The following list is the general requirements that most businesses must meet for Fire Inspections. This list is not all inclusive and some items may not apply to all businesses.
- A minimum of one 2A-10BC fire extinguisher not to exceed 75 feet of travel distance.
- All extinguishers must be checked and tagged for proper maintenance annually.
- Automatic sprinkler systems have been serviced within one year and valves are open and supervised. (Chained or electrically monitored)
- Sprinkler/Standpipe Fire Department Connections (FDC) are provided with caps.
- A minimum of 24 inches of clearance is provided and maintained between the top of any storage and the ceiling.
- Emergency lights are tested for 90 seconds monthly and 90 minutes annually and results are logged. The log will be requested at the time of inspection.
- Exit signs are illuminated and tested for 90 seconds monthly and 90 minutes annually and results are logged. The log will be requested at the time of inspection.
- Designated exits are unlocked and clear of any obstructions.
- Extension cords are not to be used as a permanent means of wiring and all electrical wiring is installed according to the National Electric Code.
- Electrical panels have three (3) feet of clearance.
- Cooking equipment, vent hoods, filters, and ducts free of excess grease.
- Automating smothering systems protecting cooking surfaces have been inspected within the last six months.
- Compressed gas cylinders securely chained or strapped in the vertical position.
- Address posted on the street side of the building with a 4-inch minimum height numbers.