Community Development handles a wide variety of building and property maintenance, land use, zoning, planning and development review functions. Responsibilities include: coordinating the permit and subdivision review process, administering the Code of Ordinances and various adopted plans, providing support to the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Town Council and various council appointed committees regarding code and development related issues, and preparing a variety of plans and analysis tools to assist the Town with planning initiatives.

For more detailed information about these boards, please visit the Boards and Commissions page.

Can I Put a mobile home on my property?

The short answer is no.  Mobile homes are only permitted on property zoned for a mobile home park, such as Shannonwood or Midtown Park Estates.  All other residential zonings only permit stick built or modular homes.

How can I find out what my property is zoned and the permitted uses?

Individuals with questions about a property's zoning should contact the Community Development Office at 843-719-7913 and request the current zoning and/or a copy of the zoning district code.  Be sure to have the property's address or TMS number.  Or, you can go to the Berkeley County GIS map, located here. This map is easy to use and gives the zoning for all properties in the county.

Where can I find a copy of the zoning ordinance?

Physical copies of the Zoning Ordinance are available at Town Hall, located at 118 Carolina Avenue in downtown Moncks Corner.  For a digital copy, please click here.

What happens to my property if the zoning classification is changed?

It is important to note that a zoning change cannot be used to take away a property owner's right to continue to use their land or building for any legal, existing use. Therefore, if you operate a retail store and the zoning was changed to residential, you can continue to operate the store until you either voluntarily change or abandon the use. This situation is referred to as a Legally Established Non-Conforming Use.


The Application for a Zoning Verification Letter can be found here.  Once complete, please send to Justin Westbrook, Community Development Director, at [email protected]. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or call Mr. Westbrook at 843-719-7913.  The fee for a Zoning Verification letter is $50.  

Contact Us

Justin Westbrook

Community Development Director



Tim Shiner, CBO

Chief Building Official/Fire Marshal

843-259-0369 (cell)


Bobbi Jo Seabrook

Permit Tech



118 Carolina Ave

PO Box 700
Moncks Corner, SC 29461