Permitting and Inspections
To apply for a permit call Bobbi Jo Seabrook, Permit Clerk, at 843-719-7914. Any required forms can be found by clicking here
To schedule an inspection please email TOMCinspections@monckscornersc.gov
or call 843-719-7914 and leave a message with permit information and address. THE CUT-OFF FOR NEXT DAY INSPECTIONS IS 4:00 PM.
Inspections occur between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you have permits active with Community Core and have a user name you can schedule inspections online.
- To submit electronic plans: fill out permit application and submit along with the plans, site plan, HVAC load calculations, and list of subcontractors (with email addresses and LLR licenses) & send to TOMCinspections@monckscornersc.gov.
- All plans submitted electronically shall feature names beginning with the project address, i.e. 123_Main_St - Site_Plan.pdf
- Opening a new business? Please read our New Business and Inspection Checklist.
- Construction Notes September 19, 2017
- Construction Notes January 24, 2018
Permit Submittal Requirements
New Construction, Alterations and Additions, including Sheds, Garages, and Shops
- Submit required documentation to Electric Service Provider (Santee Cooper or Berkeley Electric Co-Op)
- Submit the following to the Town of Moncks Corner Building Department:
- Interconnect paperwork from utility provider
- Engineering letter for roof certification
- Electrical line diagram
- Fastener details, type and spacing
- Licensed Electrician/PV
- Roof Anchors installation packet
- The Town of Moncks Corner will issue a permit, upon approval, prior to the start of work
- Install system but do not break seal on electrical meter
- Request inspection from Town of Moncks Corner Building Department
- The Building Department will notify utility provider
- The utility and the contractor will coordinate meter tie in
Whole House Generators
- Electrical Permit Application
- Electrical line diagram
- Site Plan and location
- Fuel Type and clearances
- Wind zone requirements (anchorage)
Building Codes in Effect
Building Codes used within the State of South Carolina are adopted through the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation - Building Codes Council. All general, residential, and specialty contractors performing services in the State of South Carolina must be licensed.
Currently adopted codes:
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2017 National Electric Code (NEC)
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code; (IEBC)
- 2018 International Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2017 A117.1 Accessibility Code
To access information regarding State regulated Building Codes and Contractor Licensure follow the link below:
South Carolina Building Codes Council
South Carolina Building Codes Council Registration/Licensing
To access education opportunities and or obtain a copy of the Codes follow the link below:
National and International Codes
International Code Council Free Access to Adopted Codes
Windload and Seismic Design Criteria
Design criteria for plan submittal must meet a minimum of 133-140 mph winds, "D" Seismic for Commercial and "D-2" Seismic for Residential. Plans shall have a Code Analysis, Design Pressures (D/P Rating) for all doors and windows, soils reports for commercial and soils assumption for residential, detailed construction documents for all disciplines. Required Special Inspections for Commercial Projects. Impact glazing is required for all areas.
All proposed signage must meet Appendix H of the IBC for wind and seismic requirements.